Each year the Sabbath School Committee of the Board of Christian Education solicits nominees for the Sabbath School Teacher of the Year.
Any member church (or branch church) of the General Conference may nominate ONE Sabbath School teacher (Nursery through Adult).
Selection for this award shall be based on the following criteria:
- The Sabbath School Teacher of the Year shall exhibit the qualities of faith and teaching found in the life and teachings of Christ;
- serve as a Sabbath School Teacher;
- and be a member of the nominating church.
- Other Christian Education service shall contribute to a fuller appreciation of the nominee’s Christian service.
- A church whose nominee has received the Crystal Apple Award is ineligible for the following three years.
The Sabbath School Committee selects a person from those nominated to be honored at General Conference. This person receives a certificate of award and a crystal apple.